Jun Liu, Ph.D.
A past President of TESOL (2006-2007), Dr. Liu is currently TESOL Representative in China and on the Board of Trustees of TIRF (The International Research Foundation for English Language Education. Dr. Liu is also Vice President of International Society of Chinese Language Teaching (ISCLT) and senior advisor for Office of Chinese Language International (Hanban) in Beijing, China. Dr. Jun Liu is a TESOL Professor at Anaheim University and Associate Provost for International Initiatives at Georgia State University in Atlanta, USA. Prior to this position, he has served as Professor and Head in the Department of English and Director of Confucius Institute at the University of Arizona between 2007 and 2011. His research interests include curriculum and standards development and syllabus design, teacher education, classroom-based second language learning and teaching, and second language reading and writing. He has published in TESOL Quarterly, ELT Journal, Journal of English for Academic Purposes, Journal of Asian Pacific Communication, Asian Journal of English Language Teaching, Language and Intercultural Communication, and Educational Research Quarterly, among others. He is the author of numerous books including Teaching English in China: New Perspectives, Approaches and Standards (The Continuum Publishing 2007), Asian students’ classroom communication patterns in US universities (Greenwood Publishing Group, 2001) and Peer Response in Second Language Writing Classrooms (University of Michigan Press, 2002 co-authored). He is also co-editor of Michigan Series on Teaching Multilingual Writers.
Message from Jun Liu, Ph.D.
I am excited to join my esteemed colleagues in contributing to Anaheim University's MA in TESOL. As someone who learned English the hard way, I always feel the importance to understand how a language is learned from learners' perspectives. I have been working in this field for almost three decades, and yet I find it fascinating to talk with English learners at all levels from all backgrounds and to understand their challenges, perspectives, and experiences. I have been heavily involved in the research on developing teacher standards, curricula, and teacher education. My research interests also include sociopolitical and sociocultural aspects of language teaching and learning and second language writing. I look forward to the opportunities to interact with you and to help you become one of the best in the field in the future.
Scholarly books and monographs
- Liu, J.(2010) Continuum Companions to TESOLContracted with Continuum International Publishing Group (on-going project)
- Liu, J.(2010) Best English School Teachers (BEST)Contracted with Cengage Learning (on-going project)
- Liu, J.(2008) The Common European Framework of References for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment. The Council of Europe (lead translator from Chinese to Chinese), Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press, Beijing, China, Dec. 2008
- Liu, J.(2007) English Language Teaching in China: New Perspectives, Approaches, and Standards. The Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd., London, 425 pp.
- Liu, J.(2002) Peer Response in Second Language Writing Classrooms. Michigan University Press, Ann Arbor, MI. 182 pp., co-authored with J. Hansen.
- Liu, J.(2001) Asian Students’ Classroom Communication Patterns in U.S. Universities. Greenwood Publishing Group, Inc. Westport, CT. 270 pp.
The following textbooks and teacher resource books were published in China:
- Liu, J.(2007) Studying in the United States: Strategies and Cultural Implications. Tsinghua University Press, Beijing, China. (co-authored with Wei Wang). 228 pp.
- Liu, J.(2007) Communication Strategies (Books III and IV). Cengage Publishing
- Liu, J.(2006) NorthStar Student Companion Books (1-5). Tsinghua University Press. Beijing, China (chief-editor, and collaborated with 30 teachers at English Language Center, Shantou University, PRC). 1000 pp.
- Liu, J.(1992) English Conversation for Businessmen. China Radio and TV Production Press. Beijing, China. (co-authored with W. Wang). 130 pp.
- Liu, J.(1991) Manual of High School English Teachers in China. Hunan Education Press. Hunan, China. (co-edited with T. Wu et al.). 551 pp.
- Liu, J.(1990) 1990 English Methodology. Higher Education Press, Beijing, China. 1990 (co-authored with C. T. Wu et al.). 300 pp.
- Liu, J.(1990) Reading Comprehension. Zhejiang Education Press. Zhejiang, China. 1990 (co-authored with S. H. Wan et al.). 221 pp.
- Liu, J.(1990) A Collection of English Games. People’s Education Press. Beijing, China. 1990. 145 pp.
- Liu, J.(1989) Cloze Test 100. Translation Publishing House. Shanghai, China. 1989. 160 pp.
Refereed journal articles
- Liu, J.(2010). Survey report on guest Chinese teachers in USA. Confucius Institute, Beijing, China Vol. 1(3), 39-43
- Liu, J.(2010). An empirical research of writing feedback based on anonymous feedback in an EFL context. Foreign Language Learning Theory and Practice, Vol. 131(3), 44-49, co-authored with Y.T. Xu.
- Liu, J.(2009). Reconceptualizing foreign language teaching methods in the new era. Confucius Institute, Beijing, China Vol. 1(1), 102-08
- Liu, J.(2006). Designing instruments for Chinese students’ aptitude test. Foreign Languages in China, Co-authored with Nan Jiang. Vol. 6 (3), 56-64.
- Liu, J.(2005). Exploring the nature of silence of Chinese students in American classrooms. Modern Foreign Languages (Quarterly). 28(4), 393-402, co-authored with Joanne Zhong (published in Chinese)
- Liu, J.(2005). Is “the earlier, the better”? Investigating the effects of earlier English education in China. Foreign Languages in China. 2(1), 1-8.
- Liu, J.(2005). Guiding principles for effective peer response. ELT Journal, 59(1), 31-38, co- authored with J. Hansen.
- Liu, J.(2004). Critical Period Hypothesis revisited. Shantou University Forum, 23(4), 56-66. (Published in Chinese)
- Liu, J.(2004). Effects of comic strips on the reading comprehension of adult ESL learners. TESOL Quarterly, 38(2), 225-44.
- Liu, J.(2004). Co-constructing academic discourse from the periphery. Asian Journal of English Language Teaching Volume 14, 1- 22.
- Liu, J.(2004). Methods in the post-methods era: report on an international survey on language teaching methods. International Journal of English Studies. 4(1), 137-152.
- Liu, J.(2003). The effect and affect of peer response in electronic versus traditional modes on ESL writers’ revisions (co-authored with Randy Sadler). Journal of English for Academic Purposes 2(3), 193-227.
- Liu, J.(2002). Negotiating silence in American classrooms: Three Chinese cases. Language and Intercultural Communication. 2(1), 37-54, June 2002.
- Liu, J.(2002). Reconceptualizing English language teaching in the 21st century. Foreign Language Teaching in Schools (FLTS), 25(1), 7-11, & 25(2), 1-5, 2002.
- Liu, J.(2001). Confessions of a nonnative English-speaking professional. CATESOL Journal, 13(1), 53-58, 2001.
- Liu, J.(2001). Constructing Chinese faces in American classrooms. Asian Journal of English Language Teaching, 11, 1-18, October 2001.
- Liu, J.(2000). The power of Readers’ Theater: From reading to writing. ELT Journal, 54(4), 354-61, October 2000.
- Liu, J.(2000). Understanding Asian students’ oral participation modes in American classrooms. Journal of Asian Pacific Communications, 10(1), 155-89, 2000.
- Liu, J.(1999). Methodological options for language classroom teacher-researchers. Journal of Intensive English Studies, 13, 19-33, Spring/Fall, 1999.
- Liu, J.(1999). Nonnative English-speaking professionals in TESOL. TESOL Quarterly 33(1), 85-102, Spring, 1999.
- Liu, J.(1997). Social identity and language: Theoretical and methodological issues (Co-authored with J. G. Hansen). TESOL Quarterly, 31(3), 567-75, Autumn, 1997.
- Liu, J.(1997). A Comparative study of selected United States and Japanese first-grade mathematics textbooks. (Co-authored with K. Samimy). Focus on Learning Problems in Mathematics. 19(2), 1-13, Spring, 1997.
- Liu, J.(1996). Factors affecting oral classroom participation of international graduate students in ESL settings. (Co-authored with L. F. Kuo). Educational Research Quarterly, 19(4), 43-62, 1996.
- Liu, J.(1996). Culture transformation: Presenting Chinese culture as an insider. Ohio Journal of the English Language Arts (OJELA), 67-72, Spring/Summer Issue, 1996.
- Liu, J.(1996). Educating Japanese teachers in the twenty-first century. (Co-authored with K. Samimy and Y. Saito). AAJ Occasional Papers, 1, 1-24, Summer, 1996.
- Liu, J.(1995). Educating Japanese language teachers for the twenty-first century: An interview with experts in teacher education. (Co-authored with K. Samimy, & Y. Saito). Proceedings of the 1995 ATJ Conference on literature, language and pedagogy (20-33). Middlebury: The Association of Teachers of Japanese, 1995.
- Liu, J.(1994). Introducing jokes into the language classroom. Ohio TESOL Newsletter, 19(1), 15-8, Winter, 1994.
- Liu, J.(1994). GAMBARE, AMAE and GIRI: A cultural explanation for Japanese children’s success in mathematics. (Co-authored with K. Samimy & K. Matsuta). Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 13(3), 261-71, September 1994.
- Liu, J.(1994). Jokes? Yes, jokes! Reflections of the Ohio Drama Education Exchange, 1-14, March 1994.
- Liu, J.(1990). Functional analysis of music in Suggestopedia. Media in Foreign Language Instruction. December 1990. 10 pp.
- Liu, J.(1990). Understanding the eclectic approach -- the trend in TEFL. University Education FORUM, April 1990. 6 pp.
- Liu, J.(1989). The effective foreign language teaching through authentic listening. Audio-Visual Foreign Language Teaching, November 1989. 12 pp.
- Liu, J.(1989). Two crucial points on TEFL in the past forty years in China. English Teaching & Research Notes (ET&RN). October 1989. 7 pp.
- Liu, J.(1989). Inference--a process in learning and using a language. Research Notes on Foreign Language Teaching Methodology in North China. July 1989. 13 pp.
- Liu, J.(1989). Helping EFL students write effectively. English Coaching. June 1989. 8 pp.
- Liu, J.(1989). Introduction to the reform movement in TEFL. ET&RN. June 1989. 11 pp.
- Liu, J.(1988). Theory and practice in TEFL in China. Higher Education FORUM. December 1988. 15 pp.
- Liu, J.(1988). Language arts and audio-visual approach. High School English Teaching Notes. August 1988. 6 pp.
- Liu, J.(1988). The International Phonetic Alphabet and its use in TEFL in China -- marking the celebration of its 100th anniversary (1888-1988). Foreign Languages. September 1988. 13 pp.
- Liu, J.(1988). Reflections on the experimental research on Suggestopedia. ET&RN. April 1988. 14 pp.
- Liu, J.(1988). An analytical review of recent TEFL publications in China. ET&RN. March 1988. 10 pp.
- Liu, J.(1986). On the reform of TEFL in Chinese schools. Foreign Languages World. April 1986. 8 pp.
- Liu, J.(1986). An experimental research report on Suggestopedia as applied in a Chinese school. ET&RN. January 1986. 12 pp.
- Liu, J.(1985). On the principle of utilizing the native language in FLT. Fujian Foreign Languages. April 1985. 8 pp.
- Liu, J.(1985). Maximizing the use of tape-recorders in language classrooms. English Teaching in Schools. April 1985. 6 pp.
- Liu, J.(1984). On the effectiveness of feedback in the language classroom. Jiangsu Education. March 1984. 6 pp.